According to the Centers for Disease Control 40% of American adults and 20% of adolescents (ages 6-19) are obese. These are the highest rates ever recorded in the United States! It is not difficult to understand why: the low price of unhealthy, highly-processed foods and lack of exercise. Obesity increases a person's risk for disease and other health complications such as heart disease, diabetes, stroke and osteoarthritis. As we celebrate this holiday season, please remember to choose food wisely and exercise regularly!
- Utilize a small plate and eat in moderation
- Fill up on vegetables first
- Eat slowly and enjoy every bite
- Limit alcohol consumption or reach for a low-calorie, nonalcoholic alternative
- Include physical activity in your daily routine - the American Heart Association recommends the following for adults and kids